Monday, October 18, 2010

Our First Win!

On Saturday we fished Allstar Bass Couples first tournament of the year at Bartlett lake. There were 27 boats that fished. The morning was perfect a slight breeze on the water and about 75 degrees. We started fishing a steep bank and caught a couple of little ones and we decided to go up river to an off shore spot that doesn't get a lot of pressure and we worked it and worked and caught some little fish. I picked up the jig and Jo kept drop shotting. I felt that "tick" and set the hook and the fish didn't move. I yelled at Jo to grab the net because I thought it was a "good one", she came up boat side and jumped over the net and made a dive for the bottom, after a brief fight I had her boat side and Jo slipped the net under her and we flopped her in the boat and I just look at it going WOW! It ended up being 19.5 inches long and weighed 4.35 lbs! The biggest fish I have caught out of Bartlett and the biggest fish in a tournament. We knew that we just need 4 1.5lb fish and we would have a good shot at winning it. Well we fished and fished and caught one here and there. It was getting down to the wire and we still needed one good fish. With 30 mins left I decided to fish an under water island, that we had caught some decent fish off of the weekend before. Well with 15 mins left I finally get bite and set the hook and tell Jo this is the fish we need, as soon as it comes boat side get the net under it. It turned out to be the lucky fish culling out a 1.25lb with a 1.75lber. We finished the day weighing 11.01 lbs and big fish award for the 4.35 lber. They took pictures with the "wood" and with 3 of the fish. I reached in the bag and grabbed the two big fish and I think Jo purposely grabbed the littlest one we had... Second place had 10.47 lbs and a big fish of 3.57. It was a great day on the water with my best friend and wife. Thank you Babes for understanding and taking the time to figure out why I love to fish!

3 wise friends.:

Merry said...

Wow! Looks like you guys had fun.

The Helvig Familiy said...

Way to go! Hope you like eating fish Jo :) If not you guys can send them our way.

Barbara said...

Wow impressive guys! That is awesome! You guys are awesome!